日曜日, 9月 28

Iftar in Tokyo

Last weekend, I was invited to a 'buka puasa' (Iftar) at a Malaysian sempai's (senior) house in Gyotoku, Chiba.

The weather was dreary. 
It was cold and heavy grey clouds were hanging low in the sky, as if it's going to rain anytime soon.
I don't really feel like going out in this chilly, gloomy fall weather.

It was the first time that sempai have asked me to come for a visit.
And, with my current work schedule changing every week, I don't think that I can afford the luxury of procrastinating sempai's offer to another time.
It should be then or never.
  
Gyoutoku was quite far from where I live, (about an hour and a half train ride) but the thought of 'kuih-muih' (traditional cakes), 'ayam masak lemak' (chicken cooked in spicy coconut gravy), 'nasi dagang', and a whole lot more home cooked Malay delicacies, somehow gave the strength to brave the outdoors and ventured into the unknown.
(FYI, that was my first time to his house)

I arrived at Gyotoku station about an hour before Iftar.
Sempai was already waiting for me at the pharmacy near the station.
He was standing with a grey 'mama chalee' (bicycle) by his side.
And perched at the bicycle's rear seat, looking grumpy was Mina-chan, his eldest daughter.

I approached them, we briefly exchanged 'hi's and then made our way slowly to his house which was about 10 minutes walk from the station. I've known sempai from my University years back in Kagoshima. He majored in Economics, while I studied Architecture. We've lost contact for some time when Sempai graduated and went back to Malaysia.
In Malaysia, he got married and settled down working as a lecturer attached to a Malaysian University.

He is now back in Japan, studying for his PhD at Waseda University, one of the more prestigious private university in Japan. He brought along his wife and two kids (a daughter and a son) to Tokyo. The wife, I later found out, was a bright, bubly, gentle lady.

I was ushered in and lo!, there are lots of goodies already arranged on the table.
My stomach grumbled at the mouth watering sight.




I soon learnt that I wasn't the only guest for the night. A few minutes later, the doorbell rang, and in minutes I found myself surrounded by small kids running about, housewives chattering along while preparing the food in the kitchen and laughing mens in the living room.
Ahh...the warmth of a big, Malay family.



Although it was the first time I met them, we managed to get along effortlessly.
Soon I found myself laughing along with the men, teasing the housewives and running around the house, playing hide and seek with the kids.
By now, Mina-chan was grumpy no more.

When Maghrib approached, we did our Iftar with a date and then the guys perform Maghrib prayers while the women folk tends to the children. When the mens finished, the women than performed their Maghrib prayer while us men starts to busy ourselves, filling our empty stomachs with delicious foods and just letting the kids play for themselves. ;-)

I had 2 servings before I called it quit.

After that, I followed my sempai to a nearby masjid for Isyak and Tarawikh prayers.
(I was pleasantly surprised to know that theres a masjid nearby!)

The masjid was just a plain looking 3 story building. 
I entered the building and I can see that small prayer hall was almost filled up.
It was after all the last night for Tarawikh prayers.
I also noticed that most of the congregates were of Pakistan/Indian nationals. 
The enticing aroma of 'attar' lingers throughout the slightly cramped hall.
 
After we've performed our solat, I asked sempai where do the people here do their tithe (zakat fitrah) collection. Sempai pointed to several small wooden boxes lined at the back of the praying hall.

Me: Err, thats it? No akad or anything?

Sempai explained that the mosque follows the teachings of the Maliki sect where the paying of tithe without akad are permitted. The important thing is your 'niat'. 

Me: Hmm, 'benri'. (convenient)

So, I made my 'niat' and slotted in 1500 yen as tithe inside the wooden box.
I then made my way back to sempai's house for MORE food and drinks.
 
  



0 件のコメント: