金曜日, 9月 5

Corrections, please!

Today something 'strange' happened at the Rep office in Bangkok.

It was one of those laid back days...
Not much work, and I was just whiling my time, browsing the Internet.
It was after all, the 3rd day of Bangkok's Emergency Decree.
And since PM Samak declared this morning that he's not resigning, I and of course the rest of Thailand was anticipating that the current political turmoil will prolong; I've made it my priority to keep up with the latest news.

Suddenly, my Japanese boss; who was keeping himself busy all these time, writing reports on his latest business trip to Taiwan; came up besides me and ask how to pronounce a particular Kanji; Chinese character. 
I was surprised! A Japanese asking me, a foreigner how to pronounce a Kanji!
Wow! They really must have excellent trust in my Japanese language capabilities.

Anyway, I glanced at the Kanji he was showing, and unfortunately(?), I too don't know the pronounciation for it.  Well, good for him I guess since I am 'saving his face'.

Later on, I was reading through pages from a Japanese newspaper. I figured that I should try to further brush up on my Japanese reading while waiting for my boss to finish with his report. (Man, its been hours since he started, and he still haven't finished!) I came across another Japanese Kanji that I am not familiar with. Without any hesitation, I asked another Japanese coworker how to pronounce the word. He too said that he don't know how to pronounce the word. He plainly said later that the word I pointed out wasn't an 'everyday' word...whatever. 

Another few hours later, my boss declared that he's finished writing his report. He needed to submit his report to the CEO and he's like us (me and my other co-woker) to have a look at it before he submit the report.
I took the report and started reading. 
Surprised! Surprised! 
Frankly speaking, there was a lot of corrections and grammatical mistakes that I pointed out just to make the whole sentence, understandable. I can even write something better, looks more professional that my boss's.

As I was helping my boss, correcting his report, a fax from the Japanese Embassy came through. 
According to the fax, there'll be another demonstration of around a hundred Thai University students at Central World Shopping Complex scheduled to take place at 9am tomorrow morning. The demonstrators will then stage a march down to the Police HQ located nearby. We (the Japanese actually) are advised not to be around the area.

Hmm...
I think to myself that it seems like, not only my boss's report that needs some corrections. Thai politics are in need of some major 'corrections' of their own.

What a world!

0 件のコメント: