水曜日, 9月 3

Emergency Decree!

I arrived in Bangkok this afternoon to find out that the usually busy Suvarnabhumi airport was kind of 'different' than always. 
First, the usually packed arrival hall was virtually deserted. The pesky, loud, annoying taxi touts and people eagerly waiting for their loved ones to emerge, that usually blocked my view each time I got out to the arrival hall was nowhere to be seen! 
Secondly, the heavy presence of police personnel only helps to confirm my doubts that something is definitely wrong.

As the car speeds into town, I can see that theres less traffic on the road. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering the all too famous Bangkok gridlock, the smooth car-ride all the way to the hotel was definitely a welcomed change. Still, I am intrigued to find out.

I called up Lydia, a Malaysian friend working/living in Bangkok. She immediately told me that due to some violence that happened at Sanam Luang area between protesters to PM Samak and the police (or is it, the army?) a person was killed and PM Samak ordered an Emergency Decree at 7am this morning to keep things under control. Lydia told me to be careful, because things might get tense if the authorities couldn't keep things under control. She advised me to stay away from Sanam Luang area, where the protester's camp are located, and also to stock up on food as soon as I arrived in the hotel since nobody's not sure if things might get ugly or not. Kind Lydia also offered me a room at their service apartment in case things in the city (where I'm living and also where all the action is) gets worse. Well, lets hope that things'll not get that bad.

I arrived safe and sound at the hotel and proceed directly to the check in counter. The girls at the front desk asked me if I'm confirming my 10 days stay this time. Well, I asked them why, and they explained that some customers(tourists) opt to go back early due to the current political turmoils. Can't help but wonder how big the current political turmoils will bring to this beautiful kingdom that relies heavily on its Tourism Industry.   

As soon as I've settled down in my hotel room, I walked to the shopping complex nearby to start buying some provisions. Today was 2nd day of Ramadhan, and I also need to stock up on something for sahur, too. 

I noticed that, Emergency Decree or not, life on the streets of Bangkok still continues as usual. The hawkers are still busy preparing food, and the stalls are filled to the brim with customers as usual. People still throng to the shopping center for their groceries. If I wasn't at the airport today, theres no way of knowing that the country is in Emergency Decree!

Hmm....I just hope that Malaysia won't end up the same. 

I then made my way to the nearest spa for 2 hours of  blissful body scrub and oil massage.
Total relaxation. Within that 2 hours, I managed to stop thinking of all thats happening to the outside world.

0 件のコメント: