日曜日, 10月 19

An 'unpleasent' cab ride

I experienced something new today...

I went shopping at Shinjuku's Tokyu Hands. I kept buying new magazines and books, and my house is running out of space to keep them.
So, I thought that I'll run over to Tokyu Hands and get myself some wooden boards that I can convert into a make-shift shelf. 
And that was exactly what I did this morning.

I came out of Tokyu Hands with a plank of painted wooden plank, 80 cm in length and a 50 cm by 50 cm wooden box, both neatly wrapped but were hanging/dangling dangerously on my skinny hands. Hmm, not a good idea to bring these items into the train. I might slam someone's head with my plank. 
I then made my way (while trying my best to balance those two items) to the taxi stand located at the ground floor. The taxi was already waiting, the door automatically opens, and theres a man from the shopping center who was kind enough to help me haul those 'dangerous' wooden things onto the taxi trunk...for free! (japanese service...world's no. 1)

I climbed in, the taxi door 'automatically' shuts after me, and soon I found myself being ferried away in comfort to my house at Hounancho. 

The whole journey was 'quiet'. There was no further conversation between me and the driver, besides the one that we had when I gave him the instruction to my house...just the way I like it. Its not that I don't appreciate a good conversation with total strangers (I sometimes do that, but usually its to get into the stranger's bed! this time, I wasn't too keen. haha!) but I was just not in the mood for any talks. I focused on the changing scenery along the road to my house. 

As we were passing a bridge, suddenly the taxi driver murmered something.
Taxi driver: Shit!
Me: ???!
(Remember that we're talking about super polite japanese taxi drivers here. They don't 'shit' around that often)
 
The taxi slowed down, and I soon figured out what the 'shit' was meant for.
A policeman (ehem) was standing next to the driver's window, gesturing him to wind down for a 'chat'.

Policeman: Good day, sir. Do you know why you're being stopped?
Taxi driver: Overspeeding?
Me: (We were?!)
Policeman: Correct. Can you please turn at the next junction. We need to see your license, please.
Taxi driver: Okay, but I'm with a customer (gesturing at me) and I'm dropping him at Hounancho. May I drop him first and return later?
Me: (They allow you to do that?!)
Policeman: Well, we'll still need your license and some details first. 
Can you wait a few minutes? (looking at me)
Me: Err, yes, I guess. (what else am I to say? Just drop me here, and I'll find another cab? No way! This is far more interesting)

The taxi driver produces his license, and the cop starts filling in some form ( I think its the ticket), while at the same time, another policeman approaches the taxi and showed the driver a piece of paper with numbers on it.

Cop No.2: Sir, you were doing 60 km/h. Do you know the speed limit for this road?
Me: (60?!!! You got a ticket for doing 60?!)
Taxi driver: Yes. Its 40.
Cop No.2: Yes. So, you were over speeding for 20 km/h. 
Me: (60?!!! You got a ticket for doing 60?! Still can't get this out from my system)
Taxi driver: Sir, I need to get my customer to Hounancho. I will come back as soon as I dropped him off.
Cop No.2: OK. We'll be waiting.
Me: (60?!!! You got a ticket for doing 60?!)
(What?! The cops let the driver go and are trusting enough to wait for him to come later?)

The taxi then drives away and soon I found myself back on the road to Hounancho.
All the while, the taxi driver was appologizing for putting through an 'unpleasent' experience. 
I also recalled him saying that he managed to stay clean without being ticketed for a whole year, last year. He also commented that the company will pay the summons on his behalf. He mentioned something about the summon's rate but I was still too perplexed about this unexpected, 'unpleasent' experience of mine, to pay him much notice.
I only managed to say that today might be his 'unlucky day'.
Five minutes later, me and my wooden stuff arrived safely at the entrance to my house.

I bet the taxi driver went back to see the policemen like he promised.
 

   
   

8 件のコメント:

Ed さんのコメント...

maybe it was 60mph lol..

strict huh.

last time when i was in US, i got warning letter because i was doing 20mph when the speed limit was 9mph, but that was at housing area haha...

Bangla Tambak Johor さんのコメント...

dolly,
eh,when will u permanently station to Krunghtep?
no?

Ren さんのコメント...

Kalau kat Malaysia, jangan harap boleh lepas macm tu...gheeee.

suzura さんのコメント...

ed,
yours was still okay, a warning letter. the cab driver was already ticketed! still, he admitted that he was speeding.

suzura さんのコメント...

nora,
good question.
I'll forward that to my boss, just in case that he conveniently forgot. hehe.
Still, I'm being realistic and won't count my eggs before they hatch.
When it happens, I'll tell.

janggeltrekker,
yes. I can imagine. There are still something thats quite 'impossible' to do in Bolehland, kan?

匿名 さんのコメント...

sini strictlah. once depa dah tahan memang kena tolak point and 罰金 lagi.

btw, if u had to move to krungthep permanently 寂しくなりますね。

suzura さんのコメント...

yup.
everyone knows everyone here in Japan, its virtually impossible for you to just 'vanish' into thin air. Sooner or later, the law will get to you. And, if you're found guilty for not paying your fines on time, etc, you'll definitely be sent to the 'correction' centers.

straight strict, yes...

coy,
not to worry too much. Nothing is in black and white yet. So, no need to sound so sad...

Decepticon さんのコメント...

Saya pernah kena saman kt Shikoku sebab lebih 20km/j dari had laju 50km/j. Dan masa tu saya potong keta Mira yg amat perlahan di garisan berkembar. Terbang Y11,000 masa tu....